1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

BasicMed off to a rocky start

Discussion in 'FAA News, Opinion and Articles' started by Rotorruss, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Bronze Member V

United States United States
    Lord Leighton likes this.
  2. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

.....A pilot still has to be physically fit to fly while maintaine a drivers license as proof of being physically fit. Third class medical " requirements " must be maintained to fly after May 1st. Certain physical conditions will make pilots unfit to fly. Obviously these pilots choose to ignore that they were not fit to fly. Flight schools require light sport pilots to sign an afferdavitt that they have no know physical before renting their aircraft. In the event of a crash that pilot is liable.

So why take a chance and fly when a pilot is sick. The risk of hurting innocent people on the ground is not acceptable.

3. Rotorruss

It will be interesting to see how BasicMed pans out. I'm sure that the government will find a way to track those who don't medically qualify no matter what you use to fly with. What will also be interesting is what the punishment will be if caught unqualified and who will be punished?

4. Rotorruss

5. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

The government has already found a way to to track those who don't medically qualify. Unfortunately, now it's reactive instead of Pro-active. They count the crashes and put a label or blame on the cause of each one. Here comes an older experienced and over confident Mr. Single pilot Citation flier, who now may have multiple medical issues and is now enabled to choose to minimize or ignore them altogether. Then just after takeoff, "Oh, I don't feel so good, I think I'll take a nap". :eek:..... I remember taking a 'Pinch Hitter' course with Pop's Comanche too, but those are useless with a single occupant A/C. Just because someone is type rated for single pilot Jet operation, doesn't make it a wise practice especially with the older high time pilots who maybe vulnerable to more medical maladies. Some can learn to do the wrong thing very well. Risk management has many different participants and maybe innocent victims. o_O

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  6. Rotorruss

7. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
    Are you singling out the Citation or the older pilot?

As concerns the Citation, it's a good plane for single-pilot ops. It's very easy to fly, much easier than some turboprops flying around. There are single-pilot turboprops which are much more demanding than the Citation even with both engines running, and they can take out a house just as well as a Citation. A piston single Cessna carries enough fuel to take out a house. The problem isn't the Citation's being a jet. (Old joke- Citation is the only jet that takes bird-strikes in the tail)

As concerns the older pilot, your argument is warranted. As I mentioned in an old post here, I suspect that a lot of GA crashes are caused by pilot incapacitation but there is insufficient evidence from the autopsy. As the article states, citing medical evidence as a causal factor is a stretch in most investigations, but my opinion is that the data will contribute to improving safety.

As concerns government regulations about medicals, there are some folks that just don't care. If they are denied medicals, they are going to fly anyway. It seems to me that a majority of pilots with the means to purchase a turbine airplane are type 'A' personalities. They don't abide much by anyone else's rules. Don't have an answer for this except to cite Darwin.

8. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

I wasn't singling out Citations myself, Rich mentioned them only as one jet that is single pilot certified. I think it's a great plane and I'll take two! I see Steveo1kinevo flyin single pilot TBMs and Cessna 208s all over the place and over long water ta boot. The envelope is bein pushed by some who have decades of experience but may also have become medically challenged. Even New England based Guido Warnecki (Great Youtube series) of single pilot transoceanic Ferry fame wouldn't take stupid chances IMO and he's rated in pretty much every plane type out there, lol. Btw, I haven't seen him fly to the Galapagos Islands yet either. ;) ps: I think Harrison Ford is one of those who might be pushing that medical envelope but how can we prove it?...........................................

Latest from AVweb related to this:
    Inhofe Introduces ‘Fairness For Pilots Act’
    By Geoff Rapoport

[​IMG]
    Senator James Inhofe, R-Okla., introduced S.755 (the Fairness for Pilots Act) on Wednesday, which, if signed into law, would offer an additional level of appeals for pilots facing enforcement actions. Under existing law, pilots facing loss or suspension of their certificates due to “significantly unsafe” violations of FAA regulations may appeal to an NTSB administrative law judge and, if unsatisfied, appeal again to the NTSB’s full board. Further appeal to a federal judge is limited to legal error on the part of the NTSB—there is no new finding of fact. Historically, administrative appeals have been structured this way across the federal government out of deference to the subject matter expertise of the federal agencies. The Fairness for Pilots Act proposes to require federal courts to engage in a new round of fact-finding for such cases. This provision was included in Inhofe’s Pilot’s Bill of Rights 2 in 2015. Although portions of the Pilot’s Bill of Rights 2 were incorporated into the FAA’s reauthorizing legislation in 2016—most notablyThird Class medical reform—the modified appeals process was not adopted.

General aviation groups were roundly supportive of the proposed law. Mark Baker, president of AOPA, in a statement shared by Sen. Inhofe's office said, "AOPA supports the Fairness for Pilots Act and urges the Senate to approve this important legislation which will expand on Sen. Inhofe’s original Pilot’s Bill of Rights and provide additional protections so we can continue to enjoy the freedom to fly."

Sen. Inhofe is reported to hold a commercial pilot certificate and has been in the news for a variety of aviation incidents. In October 2010, according to the FAA, Inhofe intentionally landed on a closed runway at Cameron County Airport in Port Isabel, Texas, while personnel were working on the runway. In July 2016, Inhofe, flying his experimental Harmon Rocket, had a runway excursion while landing at South Grand Lake Regional Airport in Ketchum, Oklahoma. Inhofe’s other incidents include loss of a propeller in flight and a ground loop. Sen. Inhofe’s son, Perry Inhofe, was killed in Mitsubishi MU-2 in November 2013 shortly after takeoff in his first flight without an instructor.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Richard Wyeroski likes this.
  9. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

.....FAA lacks common sense and lumps all pilots together. I don't think they will ever live down what they did to Bob Hoover! ...