1. Welcome to the Airnation.net Social Hangar! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Inebriated Pilots

Discussion in 'Latest Airline News' started by Baron Bill, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Baron Bill

Baron Bill Hangar Associate Member IV

Canada Canada
    Once again, a drunk pilot makes an expensive mistake. Sunwing had an incident at YYC today. Mercifully, the guy passed out in the cockpit, and the cops were called.

Funnily enough, different from the Transat and Delta issues in Scotland this year, this pilot was NOT a Canadian, and was part of the deal that Sunwing has to wet lease aircraft from Eastern bloc countries during their low season.

These wet leases, include front end crews, and the cabin is staffed with Sunwing Canadian F/As .

It would be interesting to know just how many of the Sunwing aircraft are actually owned, and operated, by the company..... Not the majority, I believe.

Happy New Year to you all, and also to the Sunwing passengers who eventually arrived safely in Cancun!

BB

2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    :eek: That new Canadian Vodkas can kick the Russian's ass. Could you imagine seein that?

3. Lord Leighton

There was another one in India the other day.

4. mickwest

mickwest Hangar Associate Member V

Australia Australia
    Flytdeck, gearup328, Kevin and 2 others like this.
  5. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

......maybe because it was New Years?;).....amazing....maybe they wanted to get fired. The job has a lot of stress and the pay is bad and .....well I could keep going......

6. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member II

I have to be a damn teetotaler going out to dinner and driving, making sure no more than 2 glasses of wine with dinner over 2 hours, Don't know what the limits here are in Arizona but one glass in NY State in an hour will give you an .04 Blood Alcohol Level anything above that is Driving While Impaired a lesser charge than 2 glasses of wine .08 Driving While Intoxicated. I don't even try here in AZ, if I'm driving it's a soft drink. Heard the DUI Laws Here are stricter than NY. But Holy Cow, I saw the video of that Indonesian pilot, I've been in that condition but about 40 years ago and not flying a plane or driving a car. And of course passing out in the Captain's seat is perfectly acceptable. I come from a family of NYPD Officers and NYFD Fireman where alcoholism was always an ongoing problem for many reasons, one being the stress of the job. Unfortunately this looks like its become in issue with airline pilots. would have never thought it. My old friend Maurice who is no longer with us was a pilot for TWA and taught me to fly and his saying was the old one 24 Hours from bottle to throttle. Guess these guys haven't heard that one.

7. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VI

All these incidents of drunk pilots, are too many too often.

8. Kevin

Agreed far too often. Throw away your career and risk lives at the same time. Don't understand it.

9. Everett 757

Yes, there are some things that cannot ever be replaced. Lives for example. :eek:

10. Lord Leighton

11. Kevin

These videos are frightening and very disturbing. It looks like the industry has a problem that has to be addressed. If I was the F/O I would just leave the cockpit and go to the authorities, I don't want to die. Looks like F/0 was still there and the F/A was having the argument with the Captain. What the hell is going on here?? I thought Indonesia is largely a Muslim country and Muslims aren't supposed to drink alcohol. My comment is not trying to offend Muslims, just an observation.

12. Lord Leighton

He might have been out of the country? Don't forget, all the 9/11 hi-jackers went to a strip club/bar the night before. Outside of muslim countries, muslims treat everywhere else as Las Vegas. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. The woman on flights back to their countries spend much time getting their 'official' clothing back on before landing. ;)

13. Everett 757

Wow! Scary. :eek:

Flytdeck and gearup328 like this.
  14. Baron Bill

Baron Bill Hangar Associate Member IV

Canada Canada
    I've witnessed blatant disregard of the 24 hour bottle to throttle rule, both in Canada as well as on USSR aircraft. Canada was "bush pilot" operation, and the Russian was the front end crew of an AN124. I was a passenger on the 124 flight, and only realised what had gone on in the "front office" after I was offered a ride in the cockpit after a fuel stop in YQX en route to YMX. The flight was uneventful, thank God for me, but it was evident that that the crew meal was lubricated with alcohol.

The Antonov crews had a great reputation all over the globe, for partying (usually at the charterer's expense......)

15. David Barnshaw

David Barnshaw Hangar Gold Member I

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    NOT a Canadian pilot--this is getting serious !.:):)

16. gearup328

gearup328 Hangar Bronze Member I

A Captain friend was accused once by a passenger of looking like he had an alcoholic drink in an airport restaurant. He was already in the seat and going through flows. Never argue the point. The only thing to do is take yourself off the flight and get tested. You are guilty by observation. If you continue you will be guilty until proven innocent and you might have trouble proving this due to the fact that you flew anyway. If you are clean, get tested and prove your innocence. If you can't? Better have a union attorney on your side. We all had to eat in airports. Never eat at the bar in uniform. Always dine with other crew at the hotel or other restaurant so you have witnesses. We had a 12 hour rule. The Air Force used the old "8 hours, bottle to throttle" rule. We were never tested back in the 70's. I won't say anymore, lest I get myself in deep do-do. Deep kimchi for those who flew in Asia. BTW, I flew in Vietnam and the airlines with Canadians---gotta like you guys! CYYZ, CYUL, CYOW any day!!!

17. Flytdeck

Flytdeck Hangar Bronze Member VI

Qatar Qatar
    A wee bit too general. Experience in this area indicates that SOME (mostly wealthy) Muslims will "evolve" to Western style once heading abroad. MOST will still not consume alcohol. There is zero tolerance for drivers AND pilots. Pilots for Middle East carriers frequently undergo random testing.

Very few road accidents due to impaired driving. Most accidents due to distracted/reckless driving in that order and usually combined. Pilots tested with more than 0 are removed from duty and taken immediately for a blood test. If still positive, they are fired without recourse. Random tests also conducted at out stations.

Lord Leighton likes this.