1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Is the Airbus A380 This Generation's Concorde? The big plane that's a big flop

Discussion in 'Airplane, Aircraft & Jumbo Jet Talk' started by vegli, Jun 25, 2014.

1. vegli

vegli Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    When Airbus loaded one of its super-jumbo A380s with Wall Street analysts and flew it over New York two weeks ago, it was only the latest piece of evidence that the ginormous plane has fallen far short of expectations. Seven years after the A380’s debut, the number of U.S. carriers to take delivery of the 525-passenger aircraft stands at exactly zero.

“It’s just too big for most airlines and most routes,” said Brett Snyder, who tracks the airline industry at CrankyFlier.com. “The only airlines that really can use this airplane well are those in large, highly slot-restricted airports. British Airways should be the perfect target, but it only ordered a handful of these things.”

British Airways plus the nine other carriers that have ponied up for the plane have at least gotten marketing mileage from beauty shots of the luscious accommodations in first class. But the plane itself—which must be more than 65 percent full to make a profit—has been called everything from a “white elephant” to “one of the worst self-inflicted wounds in aerospace history.”

More...
    http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/airbus-a380-generations-concorde-158494

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2014
  2. Strlifter

Strlifter Hangar Associate Member II

That about says it all!!

3. JOSE J SIFONTES

JOSE J SIFONTES Hangar Associate Member IV

Puerto Rico Puerto Rico
    Really wish they could debug the 787 once and for all, that would be the perfect choice for long routes, not too many passengers needed for it to be profitable.

Everett 757, Curt, Drjohn and 3 others like this.
  4. JeffinMass

JeffinMass Hangar Bronze Member I

If it weren't for EK Emirates the A-380 program would be in horrible shape. Now EK is pressing Airbus to come up with an A-380 neo. Airbus will do anything EK wants. If the A-380 program never existed the B-748 program would have been booming. The US airlines don't want the A-380 because they know if they order them they would be stuck with them. I wonder how many of those beautiful looking EK Emirates A-380 flights are profitable? What about BA, AF or LHs? Transaero is going to pack them to the brim so they can make their money back.

BJMLoLLaG, Everett 757, Curt and 4 others like this.
  5. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

I believe most of the bugs are worked out. Seems like everything else is chasing its good performance too.

6. VT-DGL

VT-DGL Hangar Bronze Member III

Pakistan Pakistan
    It was a fair gamble......wonder if Airbus will break even on this project after EK's next order [ by the way I just don't get this 'Neo' thing !!?] - perhaps they would've done better had there been no financial meltdown 5 years ago. the chances of any orders from US carriers are less than minimal - if they feel they need a 'jumbo' then they'd surely prefer 747-8........Qatar is also dragging its feet taking delivery of their first 380 ! Perhaps it may be more sensible, company image & pride aside, to gently cut back on production once break-even is achieved [ or close enough ] and concentrate on pushing and 'flogging' the A350 vs the Dreamliner - for this is where the next mega competition is likely to occur.

7. VT-DGL

Pakistan Pakistan
    just one thing more : 380 was airbus's answer to the 747, trying to go one better. its not always wise to follow this one- up-manship policy especially when one is competing with the likes of boeing - a company which has been top dog for a long time, specially so since the 707 & 737 [ 727 was just a better and more popular Trident ?]. Among the US manufacturers Boeing has gobbled up Macdonald Douglas [a big player in itself : DC3, 4, 6.....8,9 ], which had been its sole competitor in the airliners sector since the '60s, the DC8 / DC9 notwithstanding. No doubt the Airbus conglomerate is also a global player of very good standing & the way its taken on the US competition is commendable and impressive; however Boeing still remains the super giant in the field !!?

8. Dez Rosswess

Dez Rosswess Hangar Bronze Member I

Netherlands Netherlands
    I went on an a380 to Singapore in 2009 when it was newly in service, it was by far my best flying experience, it's a big contrast of how it ugly it can appear from the outside, to the lap of luxury inside, albeit that was with Singapore Airlines, at that time they were the benchmark for in flight catering and service. Maybe that was partly why it hasn't done as well as hoped for, it was marketed as a luxury vehicle, rather than a workhorse capable of carrying unprecedented amounts of people.

9. Lord Leighton

The Neo thing that EK Emirates wants is higher thrust with more capability in extreme ambient heat conditions of the middle east.

10. David Barnshaw

David Barnshaw Hangar Gold Member I

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    And the Dreamliner will win hands down.:)

BJMLoLLaG, Everett 757, Curt and 2 others like this.
  11. David Barnshaw

Yep,agree with all that-but for speed-the Trident would leave the B727 standing.:p

12. VT-DGL

Pakistan Pakistan
    that's being downright mean - even before the competition has started in earnest - there are lots of people employed at airbus [boughton ?] in the UK - let them have their dream !!?

13. David Barnshaw

r
    So sorry about that,clean forgot that the AirBus guys love dreaming,even those at Broughton:)

14. Phiroze Cama

Phiroze Cama Hangar Associate Member V

India India
    A380 ORDERS

A380 ​
    Total orders

Total deliveries

Aircraft in operation

Summary to 31 May 201

15. Ken Riley

Ken Riley Hangar Associate Member V

Flying A380 is by far and away the most comfortable long-haul experience ever!! NO-ONE can argue with that!!

Tamarindwalk likes this.
  16. David Barnshaw

And why not ?,everyone has different opinions on aircraft and their comforts;)

17. Lord Leighton

Unless you sit by the doors with noise cancelling earphones and a tether. I wont find comfort on a flight wondering if the wings will fall off or the higher than average possibility of rapid decompression. Fly on a 747-8 lately for comfort comparison?

18. Lord Leighton

From what I've heard, the 727 was one of the speedier planes around.

19. The Commander

The Commander Hangar Associate Member IV

Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.
    Are there any airport facilities in the US of A that can load and unload the A380 passengers?
    And what about the tarmac/taxi ways for the weight? How critical is that?

20. David Barnshaw

Not sure of the B727's speed,but the Trident could do 609 mph,at that particular time the only aircraft that could out run it was the CV990 which could do 633 mph,and the CV880 was pretty fast too-the good old days .

BJMLoLLaG, Everett 757, Curt and 2 others like this.