1. Welcome to the Airnation.net Social Hangar! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Spirit Airlines pilot and wife found dead in Ohio home

Discussion in 'Latest Airline Incidents' started by Exuma Guy, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
    http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/17/h...ead/index.html?iid=ob_lockedrail_topeditorial

A Spirit Airlines pilot and his wife were found dead in their southwestern Ohio home Thursday. Authorities are still investigating but have said the deaths appear to be drug-related.
    Brian J. Halye, 36, a pilot with Spirit Airlines and his wife, 34-year-old Courtney A. Halye, were found dead in a bedroom of their home by their children, officials said.
    In one of two 911 calls placed just before 8 a.m., the oldest of their children is talking to a dispatcher while his sisters can be heard crying in the background.
    Police are investigating the deaths. Several things indicate drug use may have been a factor. Centerville Police Department spokesman John Davis cited drug paraphernalia that was found at the scene as one tip-off that it appears the deaths are drug-related since .
    Ken Betz, director of the Montgomery County Coroner's office, said the preliminary results of the couple's autopsies indicate that an accidental drug overdose may have led to their deaths.
    The final cause of death remains undetermined pending results from toxicology testing, Betz said.
    Halye had been a pilot with Spirit Airlines for over nine years. His last flight was March 10, according to the airline.
    "Our hearts go out to the family, friends, and colleagues of Captain Halye," the airline said in a statement.
    When asked about the company's drug testing policy by CNN, an airline spokesman decline to comment. He also declined to comment on when Halye was last tested for drugs.

Lord Leighton likes this.
  2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    Smh. :(

3. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

.....so strange

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  4. Lord Leighton

Unfortunately, heroine and their additives respect NO class of people. Even Trump said on his campaign that you'd be surprised at who it effects. There are even some judges/cops/attorneys/doctors/nurses etc, out there that are hooked. It is the Devil's scourge. This couple probably got ahold of this stuff that was mixed with fentanyl. An automatic death sentence. The half life or remnants of heroine in a blood stream is relatively short so it is hard to detect by blood/urine tests. IMHO, ALL airlines need to whiz quiz/PBT(if olfactory detectable by others) every crew member before any flight to/from the US/Canada regardless of their so called privacy rights. It is the inalienable right of all pax to be assured they are flown by a crew that is 100% sober. F**k the relative minimal costs AND the ACLU as it'll save costs/rights by preventing just ONE crash.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Everett 757 and Richard Wyeroski like this.
  5. Exuma Guy

Bahamas Bahamas
    Any airline granted landing rights in the US must have a drug and alcohol abatement program. This article caught my attention because Spirit obviously has a D&A program which includes random drug and alcohol testing but this Captain slipped through.

6. Lord Leighton

I bet there is a lot more to this story as well.

Richard Wyeroski likes this.
  7. Richard Wyeroski

Regional airlines have drug programs like random testing. However like their maintenance it is not to the same standard as the majors. Yet Regionals fly 50% of all airline flight movements...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  8. Exuma Guy

Bahamas Bahamas
    The regs are the same for all operators, 135 or 121. How would they be different for regionals?

9. Richard Wyeroski

Big money

10. Richard Wyeroski

politics....

11. Richard Wyeroski

FAA oversight...;)...

12. Richard Wyeroski

13. Exuma Guy

Bahamas Bahamas
    That report isn't as scary as this fact- that report was released 8 years ago, and nothing has changed since. :eek:

That being said, drug and alcohol program costs are trivial compared to maintenance programs. It really comes down to how serious the operator is. In that respect, I would rank most commuter airlines' drug testing programs above Spirit's, if I had any inside information, which I will neither confirm nor deny, or can't recall, or don't know, but I know a lot of people in South Florida, so figure it out.

14. Richard Wyeroski

......FAA has closed all international field offices. IFO's This means that no Inspectors are going to inspect maintenance facilities. The FAA Administrtor blames it all on money and the government sequestration cuts. Yet bogus investigations continue. FAA waste continues as failed safety programs do nothing to reduce the accident rate.

Administrator Huerta has asked Congress for more money for the Drone registration program. This program does nothing for safety and forces children to register their toy drones with the government!

The outsourcing report is over 8 years old and conditions are worse with poor maintenance being performed on US aircraft causing an increase in emergency returns. FAA does not know wh is doing heavy maintenance on US aircraft. FAA can not stop bogus parts. FAA does not inspect any overseas facilities, leaving this up to the airline to perform.

THe results will be an increase in emergency returns and an increase in the accident rate.