1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!
  2. Attention Video and Photo Posters: We are testing a new feature: 'Top Video/Photo' of the Day. We will 'sticky' a great video or photo each day (or so) and it will display at the top of the submissions. So post great stuff!

21 minutes of DC9 family plane spotting

Discussion in 'Douglas/McDonnell Douglas' started by Mtrainer90, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Mtrainer90

Mtrainer90 Hangar Bronze Member IV

United States United States
    21 minutes of DC-9, MD80, MD90 and 717 plane spotting

Kevin, Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

I believe the oldest DC-9s fly auto parts between Hamilton, Ontario and (KYIP) Willow Run.

Kevin and Everett 757 like this.
  3. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

Nothing quite like the old DC-9s!

Kevin likes this.
  4. Lord Leighton

Yeah, USA JET cargo. I think two of them are around 54 yrs old if my math is right.

This is older video, who knows, it might still be flyin. The seats look original too, lol. Looks like Sam Chui is just starting out his career too.

Everett 757 likes this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

I loved the old DC-9's and logged many hours on American's Mad Dogs. My first DC-9 flight was on Allegheny Airlines a DC-9-30 from LGA-PIT. Back in the day Allegheny had ground level gates at LGA and you would have board the DC-9 via the integrated front airstairs. It was set up with Allegheny's "Jet Custom Class" all economy seating with row 1 and 2 in a club seating configuration with row one facing the rear and a table between that and row two. No overhead bins, just overhead racks. The plane was full and two flight attendants served a full breakfast to all 100 passengers on the 55 min flight time. Started serving in the front and as soon as they reached the rear they started picking up your tray in the front weather you were done or not. This was a time I wish we had video cameras because I used to fly around for the sake of flying like these You Tube Vloggers do today. I had a Honeywell Pentax K1000 35mm film SLR. I took a picture of the old bird reg # N979VJ. Still have it and the negatives in one of my photo albums. I saw it knocking around the US Air fleet for quite some time and according to Planespotters the plane was retired in 1995 and scrapped at Pinal Airpark just some 30 miles up I-10 from me. While working for Hertz I would fly to OKC frequently because that was our Operations Center and Training center. Most of my flights to OKC were via DFW from LGA some via ORD usually the DFW-OKC leg being a Mad Dog. As the Boeing 727's faded away was the MD-80's on both legs. I wish I could have been on the retirement flight of American's last MD-80 in 2019.

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  6. Lord Leighton

https://simpleflying.com/the-lost-boeing-717-models

Everett 757 likes this.